We have collected obituaries for many of our deceased classmates. 
If anyone can lead us to an additional obituary, please send it to Jim or Lynn Backman at backmanj@law.byu.edu or lynnbackman@comcast.net. The obituaries are combined from Deseret News and The Salt Lake Tribune. The archives on line only go back to 1987. It is sobering to reflect on their early deaths as we celebrate our 50th class reunion. You will be impressed with the range of contributions illustrated in the life stories included here. 

Wallace Terry Anderson
          Wallace Terry Anderson, 52, special son, brother and uncle, died in his sleep, January 28, 1997.
          Born July 12, 1944 in Salt Lake City, Utah to Wallace F. and Maranda R. Anderson. Most of his life was spent as a carpenter and a chef. He was so talented at cooking that family parties were an exquisite gourmet experience. Terry's love of the mountains made the four years working in Alaska, a dream-come-true, especially when he was catching those 50 lb. salmon.
          Survived by mother, sisters: Sally A. (Tom) Bowen; Peggy (Don) Swenson, and numerous nieces, and nephews. Preceded in death by his father and a sister. Morgen and Merin will always have a huge spot in their hearts for their uncle!
          In lieu of a service, friends and relatives may join us in a informal Remembrance Tuesday, February 4th, 1997, 1-2 p.m., at the Monument Park Ward House, 1005 South 2000 East.

Judith Kathleen Barrus
        Kathleen Barrus, age 59, passed away September 22, 2003 in Salt Lake City after a long illness.
          Judie was born August 2, 1944 in San Francisco, California to Inez and Frank Barrus. She was the oldest of five children. She graduated from the University of Utah with B.A. and M.A. degrees and worked for the State of Utah for 30 years. She retired as an Associate Director for the State of Utah Office of Family Support.
          She was an accomplished musician playing the marimba and xylophone. She brought joy to many with her talent and national acclaim winning the Ted Mack Amateur Hour competition in New York. At age 12 she won a trip to Disneyland to perform on the Mickey Mouse Club Television Show. She later performed for years with numerous local dance bands and with the Utah Symphony. She traveled extensively throughout the world making friends wherever she went. Judie was especially fond of her dogs that were the light in her life.
          Judie was preceded in death by her parents and her brother-in-law Michael Aldrich. She is survived by brothers Gary (Irene) Barrus, Robbie Barrus, sisters Debbie Aldrich and Becka (Stan) Pace, along with many nieces and nephews.
          A graveside service will be held Thursday, Sept. 25, 2003 at 11:30 a.m. in the Midvale City Cemetery. Friends may honor Judie by making a contribution to the Utah Humane Society.

Allen Ross Bayles May 3, 2007
          Allen Ross Bayles, 62, died on May 3, 2007 at his residence in Salt Lake City. Allen was born on July 19, 1944 in Moab, Utah to Wesley Lyman and Zephia Ross Bayles. He was  an always loving husband, father and friend. He is survived by his children: David, Lisa, Cassandra, and Lonnie; two siblings: Evysue Hudson and Wesley O. Bayles; five grand-children; and many cousins, nieces, nephews, and friends who will all greatly miss him.
          He was preceded in death by his father and dear mother. A viewing will be held for friends and family, May 9th from 6 p.m. to 8 p.m. at Lake Hills Mortuary and Cemetery, 10055 S. State Street, Sandy, Utah. A graveside service will be held on Thurs., May 10, 2007 at 2 p.m. In lieu of flowers the family may be contacted through Lake Hills for other arrangements.

Judy Lynn Brockbank Beesley, 29, daughter of Utah State Sen. Hughes Brockbank, died Tuesday in a Sacramento, Calif. Hospital after a brief illness.
          Born in Salt Lake City on Feb. 12, 1944, to Hughes and Fawn Jones Brockbank, she married Dr. David Beesley in May of 1966.
           Before moving to Roseville, Mrs. Beesley had been a student at the University of Utah and was a charter member of the Kappa Alpha Theta Sorority, U. of U. chapter.
           She recently had been appointed a member of the Roseville City Transportation Commission.
           Mrs. Beesley was also an avid tennis player, having recently won a championship sponsored by the Roseville Parks and Recreation program.
           She is survived by her husband, a son Peter Michael, and daughter Sarah, all of Roseville; her parents of Salt Lake City; two brothers and a sister, Gary H., Mrs. John W. (Bonnie) Huish, both Salt Lake City; Norman L., of Oakland; and her grandmother Mrs. A. G. (Jennie) Brockbank, also of Salt Lake City.
                Funeral arrangements are to be announced.

Harriet Black Thrasher

March 6, 1944 - November 18, 2021Harriet Ruth Thrasher, age 77 of Bend, passed away onNovember 18, 2021. She was born to the late Lt. Col.

Raymond D. and Ruth Black, in East Orange, New Jersey.

Harriet retired from Williams Bakery and enjoyedplanting flowers, reading, and spending time with family.

Harriet was preceded in death by her oldest son, Michael Mannix. She is survived by her loving husband of 37 years, Norman Thrasher, the father of her sons Robert (Karen) Mannix, her sons David (Trisha), Kenneth (Jennifer), grandchildren Mikayla, Alyssa,Mackenzie, Tyler, Luke and Dean, herbrother Stephen (Christine) Black and two nieces, Stephanie and Marielle.

Joy Ann Butcherite
          Beaver: A University of Utah coed was killed near here in a crash which seriously injured her parents and another couple. Miss Joy A. Butcherite, 19, 1140 Douglas St. was killed. Joy Ann Butcherite was born Jan. 9, 1944, in Salt Lake City, a daughter of Charles O. and Martha Grissel Butcherite. She was a graduate of East High School, and attended the University of Utah one year where she planned to continue her studies this fall. She was a member of Lambda Delta Sigma, and a member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints.
          Funeral services will be held Saturday at noon in the Garden park Ward chapel, 1150 Yale Ave., with Bishop Hoyt Brewster conducting.
Deseret News, August 29, 1963.

Brink Chipman
          Chipman, longtime television news producer and news director for KSL Channel 5, died at his Boise home earlier this week after a long bout with colon cancer.
          Chipman, 66, joined KSL in 1996 and retired from the television news business in 2004 after more than four years as KSL's news director. Prior to that, he was the station's managing editor.
          Before moving to KSL, Chipman worked for rival station, KUTV Channel 2, where he was a news producer and off-air reporter.
          He also served as a news director at stations in Tucson, Ariz., Portland, Ore., and Boise, Idaho. "He was the personification of the tough news guy with the heart of gold," said KSL News Director Con Psarras. "He loved the craft of journalism. He was a great professional and a great friend."
          Funeral services for Chipman, who died Monday, are set for Saturday in Boise.

Gary Allan Chytraus
          Gary Allan Chytraus died at home December 14, 1994, from complications of diabetes.
          Born March 13, 1944, to Oscar E. and Wilma Nielsen Chytraus in Salt Lake City, Utah. Married Paula Sessions, March 19, 1965. Graduated from East High School and the University of Utah. Worked in the family business for 33 years.
          Served in many church positions including bishop and high councilor. Was a loving husband, father and grandfather. He loved to spend time with his family, especially on his boat at Lake Powell.
          Preceded in death by sons, John, James and Joseph. Survived by wife, Paula; sons, Mark (Michelle), David; daughters, Jill Tucker (James), Janette Glenn (Doug), Anne Jensen (Christopher), Lindie Hoggan (Jim) and Tina; two granddaughters, Jordynn and Ashtynn Glenn.
          Funeral services will be held Saturday, December 17, 1994, 1 p.m., at the South Cottonwood 10th LDS Ward, 5235 So. Wesley Road (1090 East). Friends may call at Jenkins-Soffe Mortuary, 4760 South State, Friday 6-8 p.m. and Saturday at the church from 11:30 to 12:45 p.m.

Paul Clayton
          Paul Algene Clayton, II, born June 16, 1944 in Detroit, passed away January 9, 2012. He is survived by his wife, Maureen Benson; brother, Jeff; sons, Paul, Taft, Shane, Justin, Brett, and Phillip; the sons' respective wives, Karry, Stephanie, Jennifer, Jaidi, Angie, and Amanda; and 22 grandchildren.                
          Paul retired as a special agent for the FBI after serving 31 years, and subsequently worked for the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department for seven years.
          Paul may be viewed and condolences to the family may be made 6-8 p.m., Friday, Jan. 13, as well as 9:30-10:30 a.m., Saturday, Jan. 14. Services will be at 11 a.m., Saturday, Jan. 14, all at the LDS Chapel, 9825 Desert Inn, Las Vegas. Burial will follow at Palm Memorial Park-Northwest, 6701 Jones Blvd., Las Vegas.

Carolyn Davis Jensen 
        Carolyn Davis Jensen, age 57, passed away peacefully at her home March 8, 2002 from complications related to Multiple Sclerosis. 
        Carolyn was born May 26, 1944 in Salt Lake City, UT. to Louis Dean and Jacqueline Bettfreund Davis. She graduated from East High School and then from the University of Utah with honors. During her time at the university she was affiliated with Pi Beta Phi sorority. Carolyn worked as an elementary teacher, then in the legal and medical fields with the majority of her working career in Medical Records at Cottonwood Hospital. She married her faithful companion, Mic Jensen, July 15, 1967 and they had two daughters.                        
was a loving wife and mother who was liked by anyone who knew her. Although she endured several years of illness she was always concerned with her children and their happiness and managed to maintain a good sense of humor and positive spirit. She will be greatly missed.

         She is survived by her husband, Mic Jensen; daughters, Julie Jensen, Christine Jensen Meiser (Tom); two grandsons, Samuel and Benjamin Meiser, and brother, Michael Davis (Gail). She was preceded in death by her parents.
         A special thanks to Lynn Webster, M.D. for his assistance and compassion over the years in attempting to alleviate the pain associated with her illness.
         Services will be Tues. March 12, 2002, 1 p.m., Cathedral Church of St. Marks, 231 E. 100 S, SLC, UT. Family and friends may call at Evans & Early Mortuary, 574 E. 100 S, SLC, UT Mon. 6-8 p.m. Interment, Larkin Sunset Gardens, 10600 S. 1700 E, Sandy, UT.


Leo "Ferrin" Dean
           Leo "Ferrin" Dean, 49, remembered for his loving "Bear Hugs", died September 9, 1993, in a local hospital.         
           He was born April 11, 1944, in Salt Lake City, to Lois and Leo Dean. He leaves his spouse, Kristan, three sons, a daughter, numerous other relatives and many friends to recollect his having lived.

          Services will be Thursday, Sept. 16th, 11 a.m., at the Holbrook Funeral Chapel, 3251 So. 2300 East, where friends may call for one hour prior to the services.

Dr. Paul F. Dykman
           Paul F. Dykman, beloved husband of Diane Barry Dykman and father of Paul, Jennifer, Andy, and Allese, passed away at his home on July 22, 2002.
           He was born on July 13, 1944 in Amsterdam, Holland to Jan and Dix Dykman. His family immigrated to Salt Lake City, Utah following the Second World War. Paul served in the United States Army as a First Lieutenant in the Signal Corps. Paul and Diane celebrated 22 years of marriage together.
          Paul was a respected anesthesiologist who practiced medicine at LDS hospital for over 20 years. He was a brilliant man who loved science and had an unquenchable thirst for knowledge. He had an adventurous spirit and loved flying, travel, skiing, biking, boating, hiking the Tetons, and scuba diving. He also had a deep love for music and was an extraordinary classical pianist. He loved his family and was the foundation of our lives. He will be missed tremendously and his love and influence will live within us.
          In addition to his wife and children, Paul is survived by his brother, Robert; sister-in-laws and brother-in-laws, Wendy and Brent Braford, Justine and Tom Gudritz, Edward L. Barry, and a myriad of nieces and nephews.
          Friends may call on Thursday July 25, from 7:00 to 9:00 p.m. at Wasatch Lawn Mortuary, 3401 S. Highland Dr., Salt Lake City. A celebration of his life will be held on Friday July 26, at 11:00 a.m. at Christ United Methodist Church, 2375 E. 3300 So., Salt Lake City. Interment will be at forest Home Cemetery in Greenville, Michigan on August 2, 2002.

Mary Catherine Eddington Nelson
         Mary Catherine Eddington Nelson, age 49, died May 29, 1994 in Salt Lake City.
          Born September 19, 1944 in Panguitch, Utah to Wesley and Sara Elizabeth Johnson Eddington. Married for 25 years to Frank Nelson; later divorced. She worked for St. Mark's Hospital in the 1960's. Survived by ex-husband, Frank Nelson, and many cousins, nieces, and nephews; and special aunt, Dorothy Johnson.
         Graveside funeral services will be 10 a.m., Thursday, June 2, at Mount Olivet Cemetery, 1342 East 500 South.

Jack G. Edwards
        Jack G. Edwards, 60, passed away on 14 January 2004 after a courageous battle with leukemia.
          Born on 21 December 1943 to Henry W. and Millie May Edwards. He served an LDS mission in South Africa. Married Marianne Brown on 13 May 1966 in the Salt Lake Temple. Graduated from the U of U in civil engineering and loved working in his industry for 35 years.
          He enjoyed supporting his children in their activities and interests. He was an active participant in the Scouting program and in various church callings.
           Survived by his wife Marianne; sons and daughters: Matthew, Millie, Mindy (Erik) Mostert, Benjamin (Julie); six grandchildren; one brother Bill (Janice) Edwards and a sister Mildred (Ralph) Evans. Preceded in death by his parents and a sister Renee Groves, who donated her bone marrow to Jack.

           Funeral services will be held Monday, 19 Jan. 2004, 12:00 p.m. at the Butler Stake Center, 7035 S. Nutree Dr. in Salt Lake. Viewing on Sunday, 18 January from 6-8 p.m. at Larkin Mortuary, 260 E. South Temple and one hour prior to services at the ward. Interment Mt. View Cemetery.
          The family wishes to thank the Bone Marrow Transplant Team at LDS Hospital. Jack will be remembered by those whom he helped in their time of need.

Betty Marie Gardner Lediard
           Betty Marie Gardner Lediard passed away May 20, 1992 in Salt Lake City.
           Born August 21, 1944 in Salina, Kansas. Graduated from East High School and studied at the University of Utah. Betty loved the arts and was accomplished in design, writing, and painting.
           Survivors include husband, Al Lediard; mother, Lillian B. Garner;brother, Ken Gardner; niece; Sarah Gardner. Missed by her pets Ripley andGinger.

              Visitations will be held Friday, May 22, 1992 between 5-7 pm atLarkin Sunset Lawm, 2350 East 1300 South.

Ruben Michael Gomez,
          Ruben Michael Gomez age 60, passed away October 12, 2004 in Richmond, British Columbia. Born June 28, 1944 in Salt Lake City, Utah, son of Ruben Ramirez and Clotilda Ontiveros Gomez. Served in the US Army during the Vietnam War. He relocated to Vancouver after his tour of duty but his heart was always in Salt Lake City where his family was. He had a gentle, laid-back personality and maintained a firm belief in God. He enjoyed cooking and found creative ways to prepare vegetarian Mexican-American food, and even snacks for his dogs, Sheba and Stoney, and spent a lot of time at their property in Point Roberts, WA.
          Survived by lifelong partner and friend, Murray Spitz; many extended friends in the Vancouver, British Columbia community; his parents; brothers and sisters, Richard P. (Janice), Murray; Carola (Seth) Ontiveros, Salt Lake City; Andrew V. (Beverlee) Gomez, St. George; David J. (Vicki) Gomez, West Valley; Jeanie Ferguson, Salt Lake City; Daniel G. (Pamela) Gomez, Cottonwood Heights; S. Tim (Marilee) Gomez, Cottonwood Heights; sister-in-law, Jeanette Gomez, Sandy; numerous nephews, nieces and cousins
          Funeral services will be held Monday, 12:00 noon at the South Cottonwood Ward, 5605 South Vine Street. A viewing will be held Monday at the church, 10 - 11:45 a.m. Interment, Murray City Cemetery. Arrangements under the direction of McDougal Funeral Home.

Eileen Louise Gunn Zander
          Eileen Louise Gunn Zander, 57, passed away peacefully at home with her loving family around her on May 12, 2001 after a courageous fight of 3 and a half years with ovarian cancer.
          Born in Salt Lake City, Utah, on Nov 14, 1943, to Roy and Ruby (Kooyman) Gunn. She married Wolfgang Zander on May 20, 1965 in the Salt Lake LDS Temple. She was an active member of the LDS Church where she held many positions. She worked for the law firm Prince, Yeates and Geldzahler for over 23 years. She loved to travel, go to lunch with her friends and family, and above all, play with her grandchildren.
          Survived by her husband, Wolfgang; her children, Gregory Tyson Zander and Carrie (Melvin) Zander Houston; two grandchildren, Raini and Jerzee Zander, Houston; three brothers, Michael (Pauline), Walter and Grant (Cherie) Gunn; and one sister, Laura (Al) Gunn Cady. Preceded in death by her mother and father and her brother, Frank (Vonnie) Gunn.
          We want to give special thanks to Dr. Richard Frame, his nurse, Ruth Lee and good friend, Merrilee Wyatt and other family and friends for their loving care.
          Funeral services Tues, May 15, 11 a.m. at the Cameo Park Ward, 8920 So. 1700 E., Sandy. Friends and family may call at the Larkin Sunset Gardens Mortuary, 10600 S. 1700 E., Sandy Mon 6-8 p.m. and also at the ward on Tues one hour prior to the services. Interment Salt Lake City Cemetery.

Gary Arlin Hanks
1944 - 2012
        Gary passed away after a painful battle with cancer on Tue, March 3 2012. Gary was preceded in death by his father, John Hanks and his brothers Jim and Dan Hanks. He is survived by his wife Kathy, his daughter Sara, his mother Erva, his sister Joan Pitcher Hanks and his brother Merlyn Hanks. 
        Funeral services will be held on Friday, March 9 2010 at 11:00 am, at the Eastridge 5th Ward, 11777 S Willowood Dr, Draper, Ut. Friends may visit with the family at the same place on Thur evening from 6:30 to 8:30 pm, or Fri morning from 10:00 to 10:30; Interment at Utah Veterans Cemetery.
To express condolences and additional details go to 

David William Hess
          David William Hess, born May 4, 1944 in Salt Lake City to David Chase and Susan Van Drunen Hess, passed away Sunday, Aug. 19, 2001.

          He grew up in Salt Lake City with his siblings Suzanne, Paul, John, Sandy, Rosemary (deceased) and Tammy. He was blessed to grow up in a warm, loving supportive family where the teachings of Christ were taught.
          David attended East High School and the University of Utah. He also served a mission to the Netherlands, the country from which his mother immigrated. His Dutch heritage was always very important to him. In May of 1968, David married Suzanne Swain in the Salt Lake Temple.
          He was a devoted husband and father and is survived by his wife and children, Deen (Donna), Jason, Rob (Sarinda), Natalie (John) Banks and Gavin. His children were the center of their father's life.
          David had a love for music of all kinds that filled a special place in his heart. He also enjoyed the world of nature, working with flowers and making a garden wonderland of his home. He provided a beautiful life and a warm, loving environment for his family.
          David was an agent with Farmers Insurance Group for 33 years. He will be remembered by those who worked with him for his generous nature, wonderful wit and humor. He will be dearly missed.
          Funeral services will be held Thursday, Aug. 23, at 12 noon, at the Mount Olympus Stake Center, 4176 south Adonis Dr. (3930 East). Friends may call at the stake center on Wednesday, Aug. 22, 2001 from 6 to 8 p.m. and also one hour prior to services. Interment will be in the Wasatch Lawn Memorial Park.

Ronald Mead Horton
          Beloved brother, Ronald Mead Horton passed away January 1, 1998 in Madrid, Spain as the result of a heart attack.
          Ron was born March 15, 1944 in Salt Lake City, Utah to Juanita Jorgensen Horton and Dr. Walter Harold Horton.
         Ron dedicated his entire being to music - It was his life. Ron was an accomplished musician, teacher and conductor of both choral and orchestral music. At a young age he received an invitation to play in an orchestra conducted by Pierre Monteaux. At that time he decided he wanted to become a conductor and did everything possible to achieve his goal.
          Ron interrupted his career to serve a mission in Peru for the LDS Church then returned to play in the Utah Symphony and study conducting.
          For many years he was music director and conductor for Ballet West. Ron had an incredible talent for being able to know how a dancer was feeling during a performance and provide the exact tempi needed by the dancer to give the optimum performance. He conducted choruses and orchestras around the world.          
          Upon the death of his mother, Ron moved to Madrid, Spain where he conducted, worked with the head musician of the Spanish Court, helped the LDS missionaries in Madrid and was in the Stake Mission Presidency. He recently completed arrangements for the Tabernacle Choir to visit Spain.

          Ron is survived by his brother, Gary J. Horton.
          A funeral service will be held at 2 p.m. Saturday, January 10, 1998 at Colonial Hills Ward, 1455 South 1700 East. Family and friends may visit one hour prior to the service. Funeral directors: Cannon Mortuary.

James Bailey Houston
          James Bailey Houston was born on the 29th day of December, 1943, in Lovell, Big Horn County, Wyoming to Wanda Bailey and James Edwin Houston. He passed away January 29, 2004 in Salt Lake City, Utah. He was a handsome and healthy child and was a joy to his parents. Before he started first grade he would come to the administrative offices where his father was Superintendent of schools and would run errands to the different buildings on the school premises.
          Jim graduated from East High School in Salt Lake City in June of 1962. That year as a Senior he took the leading role in the Senior Class play. He enjoyed sports of all kinds and enjoyed fishing and hunting. When he was in the 8th grade he and his father and uncle were stranded for three days in a snow-storm in the Ashley National Forest near Price, Utah while on a hunting trip into that area.
           He entered the University of Utah in the fall of 1962 and earned very good grades that semester. He joined the United States Army in August of 1966 and after successfully completing "boot camp" training at Fort Lewis, Washington and San Francisco he was sent to Vietnam in March of 1967. Having been trained as a typist and "key-punch operator" he was assigned to an office position at an army outpost near Saigon.
          Just before Christmas of 1967 while walking outside the army barracks, Jim was attacked by three Vietnamese guerillas (renegade partisans) and in resisting their attempt to get his wallet his left arm was severely cut when one of his attackers slashed at him with a machete. He was hospitalized in Vietnam and then an army hospital in Japan. From this place he called his parents to tell them of his injury. He was next transported to an army hospital in San Francisco and early in January of 1968 he was in Fitzsimmons General Army Hospital near Denver, Colorado. From this latter hospital he was transferred to the Veterans Administration Hospital in Salt Lake City.
          While the arm wound healed Jim never did recover from the after-effects of his "tour of duty" in Vietnam.
          He loved his family and had the greatest respect for his sister and younger brother, and for his brother-in-law, Tim. He loved his nieces and nephews. One of the choice pictures which he sent home just before he was wounded showed him with a group of eight Vietnamese children with whom he had made friends.
          At the age of 12 years Jim began giving talks in church services and spoke in the Bonneville Stake Conference as a representative of the Deacons Quorum. He also was called on to speak in the University Stake Conference impromptu when he was a Priest. He served as Secretary of the Priests Quorum under two Bishops and played the piano accompaniment for the singing in Priesthood meeting for over three years.
          Funeral services will be held Wednesday, February 4, 2004 at 12 noon in the Larkin Sunset Lawn Chapel, 2350 East 1300 South, where friends may call one hour prior to services. Interment, Larkin Sunset Lawn.