Obituaries 3
Dr. George Cannon Pugsley
           Dr. George Cannon PUGSLEY Age 63, loving husband, father and grandfather, died in his home on Mercer Island, Washington, on November 13, 2006, after a long and valiant seven year battle with cancer. The determination and grace shown in his efforts to overcome the disease were representative of how he lived his life. 
           Born in Salt Lake City, Utah, October 28, 1943, Dr. Pugsley graduated from East High School and the University of Utah with a Bachelor of Science. He attended medical school at The George Washington School of Medicine in Washington, D.C, followed by an internship at UCLA, and a residency and faculty appointment in ophthalmology at The University of Southern California. Following his medical training, Dr. Pugsley joined the Virginia Mason Medical Center, where he practiced from 1975 to 2003, and was an Assistant Professor of Ophthalmology at the University of Washington. He was a Fellow of the American Academy of Ophthalmology and the Washington Academy of Eye Physicians and Surgeons. While at Virginia Mason, Dr. Pugsley was a director of the hospital and clinic building program, a member of the hospital board, chairman of the credentials committee and a section head of the ophthalmology department. During his tenure as section head, he enjoyed hiring and mentoring young physicians and was known for his honesty, fairness and fine sense of humor. Dr. Pugsley was highly respected as both a surgeon and clinician and will be remembered for his deep interest in and compassion for his patients.
          A love of the outdoors played an important role in Dr. Pugsley's decision to move his family to the Northwest in 1975. He enthusiastically taught his three children how to ski, hike and fish in the nearby mountains, and to boat on Lake Washington and in the San Juan Islands. He had a great interest in gardening and was a member of the Northwest Horticultural Society and the Seattle Tree Fruit Society. With his wife, he developed and nurtured a fine garden of flowering shrubs, edible plants, fruit and eucalyptus trees and took great delight in harvesting tomatoes, raspberries and apples with his grandchildren. Dr. Pugsley'sfamily will also always remember his excitement about advances in computers and photography and how he actively incorporated new technology into his life. 
          In addition to his loving wife of forty years, Patricia, he is survived by his mother, Jeanne, of Salt Lake City, Utah; his daughter, Kristen Onsager and her husband, David, of Seattle; his son, Matthew and his wife, Liv, of Oslo, Norway; his son Jeffrey, of Seattle; and three grandchildren, Madison 
and Erik Onsager and Mia Pugsley. He is also survived by his brothers, Philip and 
 and his sister, Susan Andrews, all of Salt Lake City, Utah. A Celebration of his Life will be held at The Seattle Tennis Club at 1:00 p.m. on Sunday, November 19, 2006. Memorial donations may be made in Dr. Pugsley's name to the Virginia Mason Foundation, P.O. Box 1930, Seattle, Washington 98111.

Wally Rasmussen
August 11, 1944 - November 6, 2022

Waldemar (Wallie) Eph Rasmussen died 6 November 2022 at the age of 78 in Salt Lake City where he lived for the past 13 years. Born in Salt Lake City, Utah, on 11 August 1944, the son of Jewell J. Rasmussen and Dorothea LaRue Jensen Rasmussen. Wallie's roots are pure Danish and he was very proud of his heritage.

Mr. Rasmussen graduated from East High School in 1962 prior to attending the University of Utah where he received a Bachelor of Science degree in Mining Engineering in 1969 and a Juris Doctorate degree in 1972. Upon receiving his law degree, he and his wife, Harriet, moved to Houston, Texas, where he began a career with Humble Oil and Refining Company, which later was integrated into Exxon Mobil Corporation.

During the course of his thirty-seven year career with ExxonMobil, he enjoyed a variety of assignments until retiring in 2009 as Senior Counsel for the Corporation. Early in his career he was associated with obtaining permits for the Trans-Alaska Oil pipeline. He also served as General Counsel for the Colony Shale Oil Project located in Western Colorado. His later career involved representing ExxonMobil Exploration Company throughout the world as well as law matters associated with the development of a natural gas pipeline from the North Slope of Alaska to the Midwest. It was said of him that there may have been better lawyers than he was at Exxon and perhaps lawyers better liked, but there was not a better lawyer who was better liked than he was.

Mr. Rasmussen was a past officer of the Rocky Mountain Mineral Law Foundation and was an Honorary Trustee of the group. He valued greatly his association with the lawyers and landmen who participated in the scholarly analysis of law matters related to natural resource development. He believed in contributing to his profession through participation in the RMMLF as well as the Institute for Energy Law. He was admitted to practice law in the states of Utah, Texas, and Colorado, as well as the Supreme Court of the United States.

Service in The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints was an important part of his life. He was a missionary in the Eastern States Mission and was a service missionary with his wife for the temple department, and then individually for over 10 years in natural resource services. He taught seminary, played the piano for Primary, served as a bishop three times as well as in several bishoprics and a stake presidency. His time as a worker in the Denver Colorado, Dallas Texas, Houston Texas, and Salt Lake Temples spanned many years.

Mr. Rasmussen married Harriet Ann Richards in 1967 in the Salt Lake Temple. They were blessed with four children: Kirsten, Karina, John Richards, and Mark Waldemar. His family considered him to be a Renaissance man because he was so well read and had a broad knowledge of many subjects. He completed continuing legal education classes right up until his death.

Survivors include Harriet R. Rasmussen, Kirsten Rasmussen, Karina Larkin, John Rasmussen, Mark Rasmussen, son-in-law JP Larkin, daughters-in-law Jane Atkinson Rasmussen and Jaime W. Meyer Rasmussen, and ten grandchildren (Eliana, Tobin, Emily, Calvin, Greta, Rilla, Jack, Luke, Sutton, and Sloane). He considered all of them most precious in his life.

 George (Bill) Redford
1944 ~ 2010
Bill was born on Jan. 2, 1944 to Bella Holland and George W. Redford of Salt Lake City. He passed away in the late hours of June 25, 2010 at age 67 after a courageous battle with cancer. He was married to the love of his life Kaye Parker for 37 wonderful years. Bill served our country during the Vietnam War. He worked for the Utah Department of Transportation in construction materials as a technical instructor. He spent his life working in the public and private sector in materials consulting, helping to elevate the quality of materials used on projects throughout Utah. Those who knew Bill will miss his loving friendship and his keen sense of humor. He was a man who was guided by his moral compass and would always try to do the right thing. His vast patience, knowledge, and compassion for others made him the perfect mentor who loved to share everything he knew and more if you had the time to listen. Bill loved spending time in the Southern Utah Desert rock hounding: He was passionate in the study of Geology and Paleontology which he enjoyed sharing with others. Bill was survived by his loving wife Kaye Parker and sister Ruth Davis.



Michael Redmond
was born October 25, 1943, in Rock Springs, Wyoming. He was raised in Salt Lake City, Utah, where he graduated from East High School in1962. Mike worked 43 years as a highly valued Master Electrician for IBEW 354. 

Mike was a dedicated husband, father, papa, brother and friend. He met his future wife, Dawn, while dragging State Street. He must have found what he was looking for that night - their marriage lasted 47 years and they were still best friends.

Together they raised 3 children, Kerri, Cody, and Casey, who caused Mike to beam with pride whenever he talked about them. When it came to his children’s spouses -  Troy, Charlie, and Bret -  Mike, in his own uncanny ways, welcomed each of them into the family, loving them as his own.

Mike loved travelling with Dawn on adventures that covered several states. They made numerous friends during these excursions. They loved snow-birding in the winter at Quartzite and staying at “The Cabin”, that Mike built with his dad, in the summer.  Papa Mike also enjoyed spending time with his 8 special grandsons (the cabin crew). They caught frogs, zoomed around the mountains on the gator, threw rocks in the river, and enjoyed pepperoni, ice cream and cookie dough.

Dad was in his element while soaking up the beauties of nature, building copper trees and scorpions, beer can chairs, and sandstone carvings. Mike shared his artwork with family and friends, who treasure their beautifully unique copper trees, lifelike scorpions and designer beer can chairs. Mike had a real talent for turning everyday materials into works of art.

While truly enjoying life he savored the opportunity to teach and serve others.  With childlike trickeries, a very dry sense of humor, and sharing his many talents, Mike made many friends. He delighted in having breakfast and playing cards with his lifelong friends, whom he considered brothers.  

Mike was the king of “cowboy up and get ’r done”. He was a man who sometimes exhibited a gruff exterior to fool those around him, while hiding his big teddy bear heart.

Mike delighted in constantly teasing adults and kids alike. Those who were lucky enough to know him well weren’t fooled by the gruffness and teasing – they grew to love the man they knew as Mike.

Mike is survived by his sweetheart, Dawn Redmond, his children and grandchildren, Kerri (Troy, sons Michael & Nicholas) Medina, Cody (Charlie, sons Brock Ayers & Liam) Redmond, and Casey (Bret, sons Max, Owen, Cole & Luke) Bullough, and adoring sisters BettyAnn Burlingame and Louise Anderson. 

He was preceded in death by his loving parents, Eva Spencer & Lamar Hawkins, brothers Jack Powell, Randy Redmond, and his twin brother, Spencer Redmond. 

Spencer Redmond
Oct. 25, 1943~Jun. 23, 2014
GARLAND, UT-L. Spencer Redmond passed away June 23, 2014 in Logan, Utah following multiple strokes.
He was born in Rock Springs, Sweetwater, Wyoming, 25 October 1943 to Hugh E and Eva Spencer Redmond. He grew up in Salt Lake City, graduating from East High School in 1962. Spencer attended the University of Utah and Weber State College, served as member of Utah National Guard, and fulfilled an honorable LDS mission to Western Canada.
Spencer married DeAnn Benson 6 May 1966 in the Logan LDS Temple. Spencer joined the Utah Highway Patrol (UHP) in 1970. After retiring from UHP in 1990, he continued his public service with Garland Police and Fire. He served as president of the Utah Retired Troopers Association 2010-11.
Spencer was dedicated to law enforcement and loved his profession. His love of people and willingness to help those in need is what defined him. He was happiest on patrol, Pepsi in hand, listening to the scanner and responding to calls. He loved good music, good food, and good company.
Spencer is father of two sons and three daughters: Troy Redmond, Gina (Timothy) Ward, Leslie (Shane) Perkins, Micah (Cristina) Redmond, and Mandy (Jeremy) Webb. He has 12 grandchildren. He is survived by his wife DeAnn, his children and grandchildren, two sisters: Betty and Louise, twin brother, Michael Redmond, as well as many brothers-in-law and sisters-in-law. He is preceded in death by his parents, step-father Lamar Pete Hawkins, and two brothers, Jack and Randy.

 Roy Lee RICHARDSON, (In lieu of an obituary)
First Lieutenant (Infantry) Company A, 2d Battalion, 502nd Infantry Regiment
Awarded: Distinguished Service Cross
Date action: May 9, 1970
Theater: Republic of Vietnam
Reason: The Distinguished Service Cross is presented to Roy Lee Richardson, First Lieutenant (Infantry), U.S. Army, for extraordinary heroism in connection with military operations involving conflict with an armed hostile force in the Republic of Vietnam, while serving with Company A, 2d Battalion, 502d Infantry, 1st Brigade, 101st Airborne Division. First Lieutenant Richardson distinguished himself by exceptionally valorous actions on 9 May 1970 while leading a platoon in search of suspected enemy positions near an allied fire support base. As the platoon advanced through the area of operations, they were suddenly ambushed by a well-concealed enemy force utilizing hand and rocket-propelled grenades. Lieutenant Richardson immediately began moving through the enemy fire to deploy his men into defensive positions and direct aerial rocket artillery on the hostile force. As the enemy fire intensified, the lieutenant moved forward to rescue a critically wounded comrade. Although under constant enemy attack, Lieutenant Richardson continuously maneuvered through the fusillade to place suppressive fire on the enemy while inspiring his men to sustain their defensive efforts. As the contact continued at an intense level, Lieutenant Richardson was mortally wounded by the hostile fire. First Lieutenant Richardson's extraordinary heroism and devotion to duty, at the cost of his life, were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military service and reflect great credit upon himself, his unit, and the United States Army.
Authority: By direction of the President under the provisions of the Act of Congress, approved 9 July 1918.
George (Bill) Redford Celebration of Life The life of George "BILL" Redford will be celebrated with friends and family at: The Lakeside Village Clubhouse, 1580 West 3940 South, Wednesday, July 28th, 6 to 9 p.m. 
Published in Deseret News on July 27, 2010 

David Michael “Mike” Rodman was born May 15, 1943 to Carol Gaylor and Robert P. Rodman in Salt Lake City. He passed away peacefully with his wife and daughter by his side on October 6, 2022 after a valiant struggle with Lewy Body Dementia.

Mike grew up in Salt Lake graduating from East High School. He married Kathleen “Kathy” Connole in 1962 at the Cathedral of the Madeleine. Together they raised three children and were married just a month short of 60 years. They had many great adventures together traveling to every corner of the globe and making friends all along the way. They also loved visiting their children and grandchildren wherever they lived - Japan, Korea, Germany, and all over the US.

Mike started out as an elevator mechanic for Kimball Elevator Company and then had a 30 year career as the state manager for Seagram’s Distillers in Utah. His talkative and outgoing personality made him a natural. He was kind, funny, opinionated, and a real social being. He loved people and a good party.

Mike was a wonderful husband and father and always put his family first. The things he lacked in his own childhood, he was sure to provide for his kids. He loved sports and coached his kids’ hockey, baseball, and basketball teams. All three of his children would follow his lead and coach youth sports. If the Runnin’ Utes or Utah Jazz were playing, he was either at the game or yelling at the TV watching it. When there wasn’t a game on, he also enjoyed Pioneer Memorial Theater and the Utah Symphony,

Mike was very involved in the community. He was one of the founders of the Hibernian Society of Utah who started the St. Patrick’s Day parade in 1977. He was one of the Magnificent 7 (“Mr. Sprinkler” to be exact) who built the Kearns - St. Ann’s Sports Complex so the Catholic Sports Organization (CYO) would have a home field. They then moved on to the first renovation of the football field at Judge Memorial. Also during this time, he and Laura Hazel started the girls sports programs through the CYO to provide sports opportunities for girls. If your family enjoyed the St. Patrick’s Day Parade, played at the Kearns-St. Ann’s Sports Complex, on the Judge Memorial football field, or in the girls’ sports programs of the CYO, raise a glass to Mike!

Mike was preceded in death by his parents and brother, Gary Rodman. He is survived by his wife Kathy, his brother Rob, sons Dan (Margaret) and Shawn (Jody) and his daughter Michele Luper (Phil), his grandchildren Meggie, Patrick, Ian, Will, Maddie, Sean, Annalise, and Aedan and one great-granddaughter, August.

Christel H. Ruegner 1944 ~ 2009
          Christel Ruegner, 65, passed away on August 23, 2009. She was born on March 21, 1944 in Stuttgart, Germany to Imanuel and Hilde Ruegner. She immigrated to the USA in 1953. Graduated from East High School. Attended the U of U. Served an LDS mission in Germany. She returned to Germany and worked as a translator for 10 years. Retired from San Mateo County, CA. Sheriffs Records Dept. She enjoyed reading, traveling, cooking, and loved being with her friends and family. Christel is survived by her sisters Barbara and Monica. Preceded in death by her brother, mother, and father.
          A visitation will be held Wed., Aug. 26 from 6-8 p.m. at Larkin Mortuary, 260 E. South Temple. Private graveside services Thurs., Aug. 27. 

Richard 'Dick' Rytting
June 23, 1944 - Feb. 18, 2021
On Feb. 18, 2021, after a 7+ year struggle with mesothelioma, Dr. Richard "Dick" Rytting passed away peacefully in Tigard, Ore., surrounded by his family.
Dick was born in Salt Lake City, Utah to Edward and Ferol Rytting. His siblings were James Rytting, Linda Goodman, and Cathy Poe. He graduated from East High School '62 and from the University of Utah '66.
Dick attended The George Washington University School of Medicine in Washington, D.C. In March of 1968, he met Marilynn E. Pittman and they married July 6, 1968 at the Naval Chapel in D.C.
In 1970, he and Marilynn moved to Texas for his internship at University of Texas-Galveston. He was drafted in the Navy and served at NAS Kingsville. He completed his Internal Medicine residency at St. Mary's Medical Center, Long Beach. He practiced at Harriman Jones Clinic in Long Beach from 1975 to 1988, becoming their first medical director in 1983. From 1988-93, he practiced and served as Medical Director with The Corvallis Clinic. He then moved and became the Chief Medical Officer for the Sisters of Providence Good Health Plan. In 2002, he joined The Vancouver Clinic as Medical Director and practiced medicine until his retirement in 2012.
Dick loved sports and the outdoors. He completed Cycle Oregon numerous times and was a member of the Men of Steel hiking group. He loved baseball, tennis, and golf, passing on his competitive spirit to his children. He was a voracious reader with an insatiable appetite for knowledge. Dick was known for his witty sense of humor, empathetic bedside manner, enjoying a good debate, drinking good beer, tackling moguls on the ski slopes, and supporting his wife and children in their endeavors. He also strongly advocated for the underserved in both thought and deed.
Dick was preceded in death by his parents, Ed and Ferol Rytting; his younger sister, Cathy; and his infant son, Richard. He is survived by his wife of 53 years, Marilynn; his four children, Heidi (Leon), Cassandra (Steve), Aimee (Kyle), Michael; and his 10 grandchildren, Austin, Brooke, Sage, Brandon, Skye, Chase, Michelle, Elizabeth, Jacob, and Derek. His love for his family and friends is only matched by our love for him...forever.

Karl Seljaas
Karl passed away February 12, 2015 in Salt Lake City, UT. of complications from pneumonia. He was born in Arendal, Norway on April 20, 1944, the youngest child of Tobias Andreas Seljaas and Selma Pauline Bergstedt Seljass. In 1948 the family immigrated to Utah, where they had many friends and relatives. Selma had given birth to three children during WWII, and she noticed that many of the homes in the neighborhood were occupied by elderly couples whose children had left for the U.S.
Karl is survived by three children: Karl Tobias Seljaas and his daughter Delaney; Lisa Linn Seljaas; Aaron David Seljaas (Georgia) and their children, Alec and Ava.
Also surviving Karl is his soul mate of 30 years, Doris Jung, and her son Peter O'Neill. Karl's siblings: Dagny Charlotte Healey and Helge were able to have a final Lutefisk Christmas dinner with Karl and Doris in 2014.
Karl led a very adventurous life, with multiple careers and many friends. Thank you Toni Foust and Elaine for helping Doris and Karl during difficult times, and thanks to CareSource for providing loving care in final days.
Karl loved his animals, Kerbie-Cat and Sofie -Dog.

Gill O. Sanders, beloved husband, father, grandfather, and friend, passed away on Thursday, August 25, 2016 of complications from Alzheimer's disease at age 72.
Gill was born on November 22, 1943 to wonderful parents, Mervyn Sharp Sanders and Cora Maurine Oldroyd in Salt Lake City, Utah and was the third of five children. He attended Roosevelt Junior High, East High School, and the University of Utah, graduating with honors in Zoology. Gill attended medical school at the University of Utah and extended his education with a residency and fellowship at the Children's Hospital of Los Angeles.
Gill lived a life of great passions: fishing, singing, art, medicine, his family, the Utes, the Gospel and Virginia. He approached each with joyful enthusiasm.
Gill spent the summers of his youth as a fishing guide on the Teton River in Driggs, Idaho. Gill could drop a fly without leaving a ripple. Laughter and fun were always close at hand when Gill and his dear friends were near. From 1963 to 1965 Gill embarked on a new adventure when he accepted a call to serve an LDS mission to Vienna, Austria. In 1966, Gill married his high school sweetheart and eternal companion, vivacious Virginia Cook. They had six children and enjoyed spending time as a family at their cabin on the Teton River.
Gill loved being a pediatrician. He cared for thousands of children with good humor and a winning bedside manner that would put any sick child and worried parent at ease. Gill often made house calls and "in-house calls," seeing patients in his own home and stitching them up on his kitchen counter. In addition to being an esteemed physician, Gill was an artist, becoming an accomplished wood carver. Carving trout from aspen logs was a way to combine his love of fly-fishing with his need to create, especially in the winter when the trout weren't biting. His carved trout business, "Gill's," began as a recreational activity and soon blossomed into a thriving family enterprise.
Gill was a proud Ute Fan, attending every University of Utah football and basketball game. Coming early he always stayed until the very end. Gill was a gifted vocalist. From an early age Gill performed beautiful duets with his adored sisters, Lynne and Camille. As he matured, Gill generously sang on request at many church and family functions, performing gorgeous solos with his beautiful tenor voice. Gill was a loyal friend, a loving father and grandfather. "Grandpa Gilly" loved to tell stories, sing, drive the boat, and fly-fish with his children and grandchildren. He always nurtured a pristine garden, and taught his grandchildren to respect nature and revere Heavenly Father's creations.
Gill cherished his membership in the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, and he gave a lifetime of service in various capacities, including Bishop of the Garden Park Ward. Late in life Gill served a mission with Virginia in Boston, Massachusetts. Gill has a strong testimony in the divinity of Jesus Christ, our Savior.
Gill is survived by his wife Virginia, their six children, KeriLynne Sanders, LisaAnne Rose (Dade), Matthew Sharp Sanders, MeriKaye Moore (Brian), Geneva Ivory Soulier (Matthew), Kimberly Maurine Ujifusa (JR), sibling Dr. Marc Neil Sanders, and twenty grandchildren. His parents and siblings, Dr. John Mervyn Sanders, Lynne Sanders Nelson, and Camille Sanders Cook, have passed before him. He anticipates a sweet reunion with them.

Susan Sanders Cannon
Susan, 75, our loving wife, mother, grandmother and friend, passed away peacefully in the comfort of her own home on Thursday, November 14, 2019 while surrounded by her family. She was born June 18, 1944 to Rulon Heber and Winifred Parry Sanders in Salt Lake City, Utah and married Grant B. Cannon on September 13, 1967 in the Salt Lake Temple. She was a faithful member of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and served willingly in many different callings wherever she lived. As a child Susan attended Stewart School and was a proud alumnus of East High School where she was active in pep club. She received a bachelor's degree in Home Economics from the University of Utah and was a member of Alpha Chi Omega sorority. She was a skilled seamstress, winning awards and often making clothes for her own children. She met her husband, Grant, at the U and together they lived in Morgantown, WV, Lompoc, CA, Birmingham, AL and Glasgow, Scotland before returning to Utah. They raised their family in Holladay where Susan found their dream home on Old Colony Circle. Here, she made lifelong friends and many treasured memories. She loved to travel and organized many fun trips with her husband and family. Susan was best known for her infectious personality. She was always fun, had an uncanny sense of humor and had a gift for putting people at ease. Pleasant, easy-going and a friend to everyone, Susan loved a party. She was sure to be involved in any event, whether it was her own party, or generously offering her beautiful home as the venue. It is no exaggeration to say she was always positive and never spoke negatively of anyone. The epitome of optimism, nothing ever seemed to get her down. Even when she developed rheumatoid arthritis and eventually an intractable lung disease leading to a double lung transplant and many surgical complications, she kept her positive outlook on life, never complaining. Susan and her husband completed two missions: an inner city mission in downtown Salt Lake for which she was so well suited, and a humanitarian mission to the Philippines, which unfortunately got cut short due to her lung condition. She was accepted into the lung transplant programs at the University of Pittsburgh and the Cleveland Clinic. She ended up having the surgery in Cleveland after waiting a year in Pittsburgh on the transplant list. Everywhere she went she made lifelong friends. She spent the last 7 years in Holladay where she was skillfully followed and treated by the Lung Transplant team at the University of Utah, to whom we owe a great debt of gratitude. Susan is survived by her husband, Grant, her six children, Nancy Paulsen (Matt), David Cannon (Sylvia), Bryan Cannon, Diane Jones (Thomas), Danny Cannon (Maretta), Lisa Cannon, and her 11 grandchildren. She is also survived by two sisters, Carolyn Hillam (Ray, deceased) and Nancy Jones (Jerry, deceased), and one brother, Steven Sanders (Shari). She is preceded in death by her parents, her brother John Sanders (Maureen) and her sister Jane Sanders.

Bonnie Lou Sneddon


Bonnie Lou Smith passed away peacefully surrounded by her children and loved ones on Friday, April 15, 2022 at the age of 77 in Lehi, UT.She was born on July 2,1944 in Salt Lake City, UT to Louis Ivan Sneddon and Leone Mary Wetzel. She graduated from East High School and LDS Business College (now Ensign College). She married the love of her life and Eternal companion Milton Byron Smith on August 18, 1965 in the Salt Lake City Temple. Milton and Bonnie lived in Salt Lake City, then Littleton, CO finally calling home in El Paso, TX in 1977. As she raised her children, she sewed many clothes and blankets, canned the sweetest raspberry jam, cooked large meals to feed an army, and baked the best goodies.

She was a lifelong, faithful member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints. She supported our father in his church callings but favored the calling he had as Ward Mission Leader and the time they spent together helping the young missionaries in the ward. She had
many callings, most notably, she shared her love of the gospel through music. She played the piano and organ for countless church services, ward meetings, baptisms and funerals. She was humbled to play the piano at the Ciudad Juarez Temple dedication ceremony. She was an
example of unwavering faith as she endured the loss of her husband Milton in 1998. She became a pillar of strength and resilience for all of her children through the toughest of times.She retired from working in education with 24 years as an administrative assistant at The University of Texas at El Paso. All her life, she enjoyed traveling to be with her children, Josh Groban concerts, card games with her grandchildren, and dinners out with her family and friends. In 2020, she left her Springwood home of 36 years to move to Lehi, UT into the home of Suzanne and Jason Mueller. She made many friends in Lehi in the short time she lived there.She and Milt brought 10 beautiful children into the world and she is survived by eight living children; David Smith (Rebecca), Julie Vasquez, Diana Jensen (Steve), Paul Smith (Heather), Nathan Smith (Emily), Chelle Tran (John), Lisa Milligan (Charlie), and Suzanne Mueller (Jason);
twenty-four grandchildren and two great grandchildren expected this year. She is also survived by her brother Roy Sneddon (Kathleen), sister-in-law Wilma Sneddon and numerous nieces and nephews. She was preceded in death by her parents, Louis and Leone, a brother Jack Sneddon and two sons, Brian and Marc Smith, husband Milton and granddaughter Clara Smith. Mom believed “My children are my dearest friends and have always blessed my life! To me, they testify of God's love for me!”

John Spencer Snow
1944 ~ 2012
            John "Spencer" Snow passed away at his home in Douglas, Georgia, April 20, 2012, following a seven year struggle with the debilitating effects of a stroke. Spencer was born to the late Dr. Spencer and Esther Snow on July 8, 1944 in Salt Lake City, Utah. He was the youngest of three children. Spencer attended Salt Lake City Schools and graduated from East High School. He received his Bachelor of Arts and Juris Doctorate Degrees at the University of Utah. While attending the University of Utah, he was a member of the Pi Kappa Alpha Fraternity and served as an associate Justice of the Moot Court Society in law school. He also attended the graduate school of Advanced International Studies at Johns Hopkins University in Washington, D.C. Spencer was formerly a deputy prosecutor for Salt Lake City and an assistant Attorney General for the State of Utah being a member of the American Bar Association, Utah State Bar Association, and the District of Columbia Bar. He was a partner in the law firm of Snow and Halliday in Salt Lake City where he practiced for over 30 years.
            Spencer married Deborah Roberts, October 21, 1983 in the Salt Lake Temple. They were blessed with two boys, John Robert "J.R." and Richard. He loved his sons and created memorable experiences with them. One of the great legacies Spencer left his sons was his love of reading. Spencer had a passion for reading and instilled that love of reading to them at a very early age. He was an energetic individual and full of life and a strong work ethic. He led an example of faith, integrity, strength, perseverance and endurance. His compassion and service toward others through his leadership at Project Turn and his great sense of humor has touched many lives. He had a quick wit and loved to tell stories, jokes and made everyone laugh. Spencer loved classical music and was an accomplished pianist. He loved the outdoors, hiking, biking, skiing, running, swimming and spending time with his family. 
His dedication and love for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints was evident throughout his life. Spencer served a two and half year LDS mission in the Bavarian Germany Mission and opened the Italian Mission. He served faithfully in his church callings and particularly enjoyed being a Gospel Doctrine teacher in various organizations.
          Spencer is survived by his wife, Debbie, and their children John Robert "J.R." (Laura) and Richard (Lexie). His two older sisters, Sondra Snow and Cynthia Snow, also survive him. His nieces and nephews dearly love him.
The family would like to thank Madglean (Maggie) Pace who faithfully gave personalized care for several years, Bethany Hospice and Visiting Nurses. In lieu of flowers, please donate to the LDS Church Perpetual Education Fund.
          Funeral services will be held Friday, April 27, 2012 at 11:00 am at the LDS Douglas 1st Ward in Douglas, Georgia. The family will receive visitors at Sims Funeral Home, Thursday, April 26, 2012 from 6:00pm to 8:00pm.


Steven Preece Sondrup
Steven passed away on November 10, 2020. Born on May 27, 1944, to Walter and Louise Sondrup, he was the eldest of three children. A gifted and driven student, Steven attended schools in Salt Lake City before graduating magna cum laude from the University of Utah with an Honors BA in German. Unbounded intellectual curiosity and formidable focus took Steven to Harvard University where he earned an MA and PhD with an emphasis in modern German and Scandinavian literature.After graduating from Harvard, Steven returned home to Utah and began teaching at Brigham Young University as a professor of comparative literature. Over the course of his remarkable career he spoke, read, wrote, and taught in nine different languages. Having demonstrated superiority in both teaching and research, Steven earned BYU’s most prestigious faculty award, the Karl G. Maeser Research and Creative Arts Award in 1982. A renowned expert in his field, Steven produced numerous publications during a career that spanned over five decades, including books, articles, and reviews on various aspects of nineteenth and twentieth-century literature. His final book, Concepts and Contexts: A Retrospective, is a collection of his favorite publications. It was finalized in October 2020 and is available online. Steven is particularly remembered for his work in the field of Scandinavian studies. As the editor of the quarterly academic journal Scandinavian Studies, he generously lent his expertise to countless scholars over the course of twenty years. His vision and leadership helped to secure the journal’s place as the premier academic publishing venue for Scandinavian scholarship.He was similarly committed to building an internationally recognized comparative literature program for both graduate and undergraduate students at BYU. With the help of Steven’s ambitious direction it became one of the most competitive, sought after programs in the United States. Steven’s profound commitment to his students and his University complemented his unending love of language, literature, and philosophy. His desire to think and write with increasing precision produced insights that benefited his academic associations and commitments. His desire to cultivate community within the academy led to many years of active involvement with the International Comparative Literature Association, including his tenure as president of the organization from 2010 to 2013. He also helped to found the Association for Mormon Letters in 1976, and served as the organization’s executive secretary during its crucial early years. Steven served as a missionary for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Germany and Italy. He was a faithful member of the Church his entire life and enjoyed serving in numerous callings, though friends believe his favorite may have been as an organist. He loved his ward family deeply, and held a fervent testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ. Throughout his battle with Parkinson’s disease and cancer, Steven was extremely patient and never complained. He was an example of dedication, faithfulness, inner strength, and dignity. Steven is survived by his sisters, Susan Dunn (Jon) and Julie Day (Roger) and thirteen nieces and nephews.

Henning Sorensen
Our beloved husband, father, grandfather, and great grandfather, Henning Sorensen left this life peacefully in his home on Thursday, February 8, 2018 after a valiant fight with pancreatic cancer. He was born in Vejle, Denmark, on June 4, 1943 to Clara and Henry K. Sorensen. Henning is survived by his wife, Merete, his three sons and a daughter: David and his posterity, Michael (Amanda) and their family, John Paul (Rachel) and his daughter Dianne and Ashley Ann.

Jon Darwin Sorensen "Loving Husband"
          Jon Darwin Sorensen, loving husband, best friend and eternal companion to Nanette Forsyth Sorensen, died Tues., January 29, 2008 of a Pulmonary Embolism. He was an exemplary son, brother, uncle and friend to so many.
          Jon was born May 8, 1944 to Darwin J. and Louise Elizabeth Keiser Sorensen in Salt Lake City, Utah. He graduated from East High School and attended the University of Utah majoring in History prior to serving an honorable mission for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the Bavarian Mission, 1964-66. After his mission, with his knowledge of German, he served his country in the military in Army intelligence.
          Jon worked for Beneficial Life and Surety Life for many years as an underwriter. He lived a life of loving service to others, both daily as well as in his many church callings. His most recent calling, which he enjoyed so much, was being a temple worker with his sweetheart. Jon leaves behind his wife, Nanette; two brothers: David (Roxie) Sorensen, Las Vegas; Paul (Kathleen) Sorensen, Provo; sister, Susan (Ed) Motola, Salt Lake City; many nieces and nephews who loved him dearly. Jon was reunited with his parents, Darwin and Louise Sorensen, and Nanette's parents, Dick and RoDene Forsyth. Jon was a Gentle Giant that will be missed by many.
          Funeral services will be Sat. 1 p.m. at the Taylorsville Gardens Ward, 4253 S. Bennion Road where a viewing will be held Sat., 11:30-12:40 p.m. prior to services. Interment, Taylorsville Cemetery. Arrangements under the direction of McDougal Funeral Home. Online condolences at In lieu of flowers the family requests donations be made to the Church Perpetual Education Fund or Missionary Fund.

Steven Spotz
          On Tuesday, September 7, 1999, our father, brother, grandfather, uncle and friend completed this life's journey and slipped from our loving hands into the embrace of God. He passed away due to complications of heart surgery.
          Steven was born October 22, 1943, in Salt Lake City, the youngest son of Jacob Joseph and Gladys Eleanor McLain. He graduated from East High School where he played on the Leopard football team. He studied for three years at the U of U majoring in business. Steven married his high school sweetheart, Linda. Together, they had three children: Todd S. (Dana) Spotz, Kaysville; Melanie (Steve) Heinitz, Montana; and Michael S. Spotz, India.
          He was particularly proud of his family and keenly appreciated letters, visits, and phone calls from his grandchildren. He was slow to criticize, always a hard worker, and was dearly loved by his family.
          Steven enjoyed a varied career from setting tile to selling. He worked for Pillsbury, Penetone, and Dobb Foods. He owned his own janitorial supply business (S.M. Spotz Co.). Steven was employed at K Mart.
          He volunteered many hours to the American Diabetes Association. He was a past member of both the Sandy City Chamber of Commerce and the Sandy City Planning Commission. He was a member of the LDS Church, recently serving in the Sunday School presidency, Edgemont Ward.
          He is survived by his three children, 10 grandchildren (one on the way), a brother, Stanley H. (Carol) Spotz, one sister, Lynette S. (Richard A.) Scott, and four nieces.
          Funeral Services will be held Friday, September 10, at 2 p.m. at the Larkin Mortuary, 260 E. South Temple, where friends may call on Thursday from 6-8 p.m. and Friday one hour prior to the services. Interment: Salt Lake City Cemetery.
           Special thanks to LDS Hospital staff and physicians who fought to save his life.

Jenny Stanworth Price passed away on January 16, 2019. She was born on January 16, 1944 to Lorna and Thorval Stanworth in Hurricane, Utah. She married the love of her life, Gene Price, on November 2, 1962 in Preston, Idaho. Jenny was a graduate of East High School. She made her career in banking. Jenny retired from American Express where she made long-lasting friendships. She loved her children and grandchildren and recently became a great-grandmother. Jenny helped create a bunco club and played for 50 years. Jenny had a warm and compassionate heart for her beloved dogs, and she passed that compassion on down to her daughter. Gene and Jenny spent many summers camping, boating, and traveling in the motorhome, making precious memories with friends and family. Most of all Jenny loved spending time with Gene, her devoted husband of 56 years. Jenny is survived by her husband, Charles Eugene “Gene” Price Jr.; son, James “Jim” Price; daughter Jeannette (Kevin) Price-Church; grandchildren: James (Britany) Price, Preston Price, and Talon Price; and her sisters, Laree Ramos and LuAnn Johnson. She was preceded in death by her parents; brother, Phil Stanworth; and sister, Phyllis Simper.

Joshua B StewartVirtual Wall; Vietnam Veterans Memorial
     Specialist Five
  Home of Record:  St Louis Park, UT
  Date of birth:   11/21/1943

  Service: Army of the United States
  Grade at loss:   E5
  Rank: Specialist Five
  ID No:  529641178
  MOS: 13E20: Cannon Fire Direction Specialist
  Length Service:  **
  Start Tour: 05/31/1969
  Casualty Date: 03/15/1973
  Location: South Vietnam
  Casualty Type: Non-hostile, died of illness or injury
  Casualty Reason: Ground casualty
  Casualty Detail: Not Reported
ON THE WALL: Panel 18W Line 125

Philip Summerhays

Philip Summerhays

September 20, 1943 - August 17, 2023

Service Information

Graveside Service August 21, 2023 at 3:00 PM

Murray City Cemetery | 5490 South Vine Street Murray, Utah


Philip Summerhays

Born and raised in Salt Lake City of goodly parents, J. Bennion and Ruth Stohl Summerhays, I had a great life – challenges, tribulations, and all.  I passed on the 17th of August 2023, excited to see the great family and friends who went before but will miss for a time those I leave behind.

I grew up in the family wool business, J.W. Summerhays & Sons Company, which most people thought smelled bad.  To this day, one of my favorite scents is a dirty old sheep.  Airport expansion brought it to an end in 1973, which still makes me sad.

After graduating from East High School, I joined the Utah Army National Guard, and was serving my active-duty time during the Cuban Missile Crisis.  I then served a 2 ½ year mission for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in Bavaria, West Germany.

Upon my return, I re-established my friendship with Claudia Ann Patterson and her family, and soon fell head-over-heels in love.  She kind of liked me, and we were married on September 12, 1966, in the Salt Lake Temple.  We were blessed with 56 wonderful years together and look forward to an eternal union.  Time brought us six bright, challenging children, whom I love deeply: Anne-Marie Summerhays (Michael Kennan), Melissa Hansen (Roger), Sarah Pope (Jason), Samantha Berliss (Jeff), Joshua Summerhays, and Christian Summerhays (Emily), and grandchildren Taisei, Mihi, Ava, Eysten, Quinne, and Finn.

I never met a tool I didn’t like, and they were my friends.  I love the feel and smell of a good piece of wood.  Three other favorite smells: Hoppe’s gunpowder solvent, fresh caught trout frying in bacon fat, and the Wasatch Mountain Air.

I have a strong testimony of the reality of God and his son, Jesus Christ, and in the great Plan of Happiness for which this world was created.  I can’t prove it to you, but in my heart I know it to be true.  Please ponder on that…  It will bring you great joy.”

From his family:  Our loving husband and dad passed away peacefully, have spent his last week surrounded by family and with peace in his heart that his time had come. With dignity, he patiently spent the last years of his life enduring difficult health problems and increasing limitations. His world got smaller, his focus was solely on family and faith. He never complained about his challenges and was quick to look for blessings, which he felt were still abundant in his life. He was bright, intellectually curious, and knowledgeable on so many topics – a jack-of-all-trades and master of many.  He loved learning and reading – a book was never far from his hand.  Yet he was always modest about his intellect, skills, and accomplishments.  Although he became more quiet in his later years, he was a marvelous conversationalist and could enjoy talking with people from just about anywhere, about almost anything. He was a thoughtful, genuinely kind man of great integrity and loyalty.  He was a good listener, keen observer, quick to see a need and then do his best to fill it.  He loved serving others and looked for opportunities to help. He saw the best in people, was slow to judge, and quick to forgive, which explains the many friendships he enjoyed throughout his life. He was generous to family, friends, and strangers alike.  There wasn’t a person he couldn’t turn into a friend; even the grouchiest of folks begrudgingly liked him. Those who only got to know him in his later years may be surprised, but he had a strong mischievous streak, loved a good prank, and had a wonderful sense of humor.  We enjoyed his retelling of youthful antics and looked forward to hearing the next great prank in the ongoing, good natured back and forth with coworkers.  No one could top him. Several years after his retirement, we learned he was referred to as a “legend” at work for his personality, work ethic, and expertise. He had strong hands, stronger hugs, was always quick to express love and show affection.  We feel privileged and grateful to be his family.

A graveside service will be held on Monday, August 21, 2023, at 3:00 in the Murray City Cemetery.

David Kenneth Tame, age 50, passed away on July 21, 1995 after fighting many illnesses. 
          David was born September 9, 1944 in Salt Lake City, a son of Kenneth Edwin and Ethel Selander Tame. He graduated from East High School and the University of Utah, receiving BA and MBA Degrees and later his CPA. David married Nancy Hiatt on June 25, 1969 in the Salt Lake LDS Temple. They had one son. He was employed as an auditor and accountant for the State of Utah, Public Safety Department, for 24 years. David was a member of the LDS Church, and was active in his ward serving as cubmaster, in Elders and High Priest Quorum presidencies, and for many years as financial clerk. 
          Survived by his wife, Nancy; son and daughter-in-law, Brad and Jennifer Tame; grandson, Sebastian; and granddaughter, Kellie, all of Salt Lake City. Preceded in death by his father and mother. David's family wants to thank his family, friends, co-workers, doctors and nurses who freely gave financial contributions, time and knowledge to support and sustain David during his illnesses. David's family will miss his subtle humor and gentleness.           Funeral services will be held Wednesday, 12 noon, at Harvest Park Ward, 3671 South 4180 West. Friends may call Tuesday, 6-8 p.m. at McDougal Funeral Home, 4330 South Redwood Road and Wednesday at the church one hour prior to services. Interment: Wasatch Lawn Cemetery.
Tanya Kathleen Taufer, died quietly of natural causes in the Taufer family home, in Salt Lake City on July 28, 2003.
          Tanya was born on December 19, 1943 and her parents were Dr. Louis J. Taufer and Marion Jones Taufer.
          She grew up and was educated in Salt Lake City. She graduated from East High School and the University of Utah, where she also worked on a master's degree in sociology. As a child she and her family were active members of the Salt Lake Country Club. Tanya had lived in Boston, Massachusetts and Denver, Colorado, and had worked for IBM and Memorex. She had worked in Salt Lake City for the Utah State Building Board. For 15 years she lived in Palm Desert, California, where she worked as a real estate agent.
          For the past four years she has lived in Salt Lake City where she was a companion to her mother, who preceded her in death last October. Her father passed away in 1971.
          Georgia Maloney was her good friend and caregiver during her last months.
          Tanya is survived by her brother, John L. Taufer and sister-in-law, Maurine Cannon Taufer; and by her two nephews, John Cannon (Jake) Taufer and Ashton Fillmore Taufer; all of Glenwood Springs, Colorado.
          Funeral service on Friday, August 1, 2003, at 10 a.m., Larkin Sunset Lawn, 2350 E. 1300 South, with interment at Mr. Olivet Cemetery, 1342 E. 500 South, immediately following. Friends and family may call one hour prior to the service or at the Taufer home following the interment.
Grant Russell Teasdale
         Grant Russell Teasdale was born in Salt Lake City, Utah and died May 27, 2004.
         He was the son of Thera Fairbanks Teasdale and Grant Theel Teasdale. He was raised in Glendale, California and Salt Lake City where he graduated from East High School and earned his BS Degree In Business Management from the University of Utah. He also earned a Certified Purchasing Inventory Management Degree from San Jose State University.
          Grant met his wife, Joan Fox, while attending the University of Utah and together they raised their children David Grant Teasdale and Molly Marie Teasdale in the San Francisco Bay Area and Bountiful, Utah.
          Grant was on the swimming teams for both East High School and the University of Utah. He was an Eagle Scout, a Scout Leader for his son David and a softball coach for his daughter Molly.
           His wife, Joan, son David, daughter Molly, sister Joan and Joe Gutierrez, sisters Thera Anne and Norma Kirsch, brother Gary Teasdale, sister-in-law Mallie Teasdale and many nieces and nephews survive Grant.
          The family would like to give special thanks to the Transplant Team at the University Hospital and the nurses at Lakeside Dialysis for their wonderful care of Grant.
          The viewing will be held Wednesday, June 2, 2004, between 10:30 a.m. to 11:30 a.m. at Russon Brothers Mortuary at 295 North Main Street, Bountiful, Utah. Graveside services will be at the Farmington City Cemetery, 500 South 200 East, beginning at 12:00 Noon, Wednesday, June 2, 2004.

David John Thomas, age 77, passed away unexpectedly on November 1, 2021.
He is survived by his wife, Geri, and sons, Christian and Jeremy, daughter-in-law, Tiffany and granddaughter, Hazel, his sister, Tricia Wilkinson and brother, Tim Thomas.
He was born in Price, UT, attended East High School, the University of Utah and the University of Minnesota. As a mining engineer he worked in several states in the US as well as in Australia, Papua New Guinea, Peru, Indonesia and Ghana.
He was a skier, golfer, played pickleball and enjoyed hiking, but being with family was the most important activity of his life.
He was a loving husband, father, grandfather, son and brother. He leaves behind his heartbroken family and extended family.
Ruth Jolynne Torkelson Ryan, age 51, of Orem, died July 18, 1995, after a difficult illness.
          She was born Dec. 24, 1943 in Salt Lake City, Utah, to Robert L. and Ruth Hyde Torkelson. She was a member of the LDS Church, and had a strong and abiding faith. She served in many church callings, most especially in teaching little children. She was happiest when fixing dinner to take to someone, and making Christmas treats. She loved to go to the temple, play the piano, cook for her family, embroider, read, write poetry, play with the dogs, and tend her grandchildren. She is greatly loved and will be greatly missed. Jolynne is survived by her mother; her four loved children, Kari, Scott (Lara) Ryan, Tami (Fred) Vanderwerff, and Heidi Jeanette; and her two adored grandchildren, Freddie Vanderwerff and Kylie Ryan; her devoted sister, Kathy Torkelson; her brother, C. Robert (June) Torkelson; numerous nieces, nephews and her pups, Tasha and Brandy; preceded in death by her father.
          Funeral services will be held Saturday, July 22, 1995, 11 a.m., at the Sharon Park 1st Ward, 225 East 200 No., Orem, Utah. Friends may call at the Berg Mortuary of Provo, 185 E. Center St., Friday evening from 6-8 p.m. or Saturday morning at the ward chapel one hour prior to services. Interment: Wasaatch Lawn, Salt Lake City.

Lynn J Turnbow
Lynn was born May 29, 1944, to Alvaretta Randall and Hyrum M. Turnbow in Salt Lake City. Passed away on May 19, 2018 at his home in West Valley City. Predeceased by parents, brother Donald Turnbow, and sister, Barbara Roxburgh. Survived by brother Curtis Turnbow of Vienna, Virginia, several nieces and a nephew.

Lynn graduated from East High School and fulfilled his military obligation in the U. S. Army Reserve. He spent his life in the food service and bartending industries, beginning as a cook at Walgreens and concluding as bartender at Manny's (both old and new locations.) In retirement, his avocation was pool, and he was a dedicated 3-ball player at the Rendezvous Club.

Ronald Lee Turner
1944 ~ 2014
Sandy, UT-With courage, Ronald Lee Turner passed away June 24 of causes related to brain cancer.
He was born June 6, 1944 to Aaron and Diana Israel Turner in Seattle Washington. He married Maggie Williams on August 8, 1981 and was the proud father of two sons, Cary (Jennifer) and Ryan (Denine) and two grandsons Max and Zachary.
Ron lived his life first and foremost with love for his family and love of his country. He served twenty four years as a Navy reservist with tours of duty in Vietnam and Desert storm. He was a passionate golfer, loved softball and will be a Yankees fan forever.

John William Twelves "Buzz" 3/1944 ~ 6/2007
          It is with great sadness and heavy hearts that we say goodbye to John William Twelves (Buzz). He died June 21, 2007. Buzz was born March 14, 1944 to Edna (Binch) and William Jennings Twelves. He grew up in Salt Lake City, and attended East High School and the University of Utah. "Buzz" is survived by two children, Julie Twelves of Los Angeles, CA, and Bradley Preston Twelves of Seattle, WA; a brother, Ronald B. Twelves of Duncan, Oklahoma; and three grandchildren whom he adored, Preston, Samantha, and Mia. He is also survived by two nephews and many loving cousins. Buzz was the owner/operator of PTC which manufactured computer boards, and worked for CCI, a computer communications company. He also worked at Tracy Collins Bank, Mt. States Resources, and Aquatech. According to his wishes, no service or memorial will be held. He requested cremation and his ashes will be scattered at a later date.